Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Miracle of Miracles!

My 16 1/2 month old daughter has been on a nap boycott for, hmmm, about a month or two....and I've allowed it. After a few days of several hours of screaming (not crying, no tears, truly yelling and screaming in anger) I got fed up and just began to ignore naptime when it would roll around. My daughter didn't even seem to notice. She wouldn't be fussy, not obvious signs of being tired. But when we would go somewhere mid-afternoon she would be sound asleep before we arrived. So I knew she needed sleep.

Then she got sick, and I began to feel guilty. I can't prove it but I'm willing to wager that her lack of sleep CONTRIBUTED TO (not caused, ok, I'm not totally blaming myself) a weak immune system allowing her, for the first time in 16 months, to get TERRIBLY ill! So I told myself, no matter how hard, naptime is a MUST once she gets better.

She's better.

Today I was exhausted too. She hasn't slept well the last 3 nights so neither have I. I felt, today, as if the wind was knocked out of me. I was bone weary. I went to Baby Boot Camp for the first time in 2 weeks and when I got home I just wanted a nap. After we ate I decided it was time. At 12:32, after reading and rocking her, I laid her down....and she stayed asleep. I came into the living room, brought our dogs in, and I heard the scream....she woke up and realized what I had done!!! She was alone, in her crib, in her room and she was not happy!

At 12:47 I went in and didn't pick her up but told her that I loved her and it was nigh-night time. I kept laying her down and she kept standing up and I kept laying her down. Finally she stayed laying down and began to calm down. I patted her and she laid there. After 25 minutes I was almost out of the room but she began just to stand up again, not crying, but just standing. SOOOOO, I told her she needed to lay down and sleep and mommy loved her. I walked out. It was 1:12.

She yelled for 6 minutes..........AND SLEPT FOR 2 WHOLE HOURS!!!!!!

I got to sleep for an hour and a half! AND...she's in a good mood now, and SO AM I!

How A W E S O M E is that!!!!! I'm so pleased.

I just had to share that.

No comments: